June 5, 2010

The Value of Foursquare

If you are unfamiliar, Foursquare is a location-based social network. About two months ago I signed up and decided to try to figure it out. I checked in at a couple restaurants where I was having dinner with my husband. I added a few friends. Then I checked in at the marina where my dragon boat club practices. I earned two badges – a “Newbie” badge and an “I’m on a boat!” badge.

When I start using most new social media applications and services I get excited and become preoccupied with the new experience. Not so with Foursquare. The idea behind the application – continually sharing your location with others – did not appeal to me. I enjoy sharing information and staying in touch with friends and colleagues via Facebook and other social media networks and I often read information on Twitter; but, I do not need to tell the world where I am in real time. Foursquare did not get hooked me. It did not add value or entertainment to my life. So, I stopped using it and decided it was not for me.

Until now… I read a post on the New York Times Lede blog about how Chinese bloggers and activists are using Foursquare to mark their presence in Tiananmen Square and create a virtual gathering on the 21st anniversary of the government’s brutal killing of student demonstrator in that location on June 4th, 1989. A silent, virtual gathering! What a powerful idea!

Soon after the check-ins at Tiananmen Square began, the Chinese government censored Foursquare and blocked the application in mainland China. So, the virtual gathering made an impact!


I still may not choose to use Foursquare very often, but now I definitely see its potential value.

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one who had a distaste for Foursquare. But I am with you on the power of a silent gathering. Still, there has to be a better medium for this. Also, don't forget the threat of posting one's every move. There are those unscrupulous individuals who may prey on naive and careless postings. But to find value in an otherwise uninspiring entity- well, you've got a point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - I agree with you about the potential dangers of Foursquare. It will be interesting to see how geo-tagging apps and networks evolve over time.

    ReplyDelete