February 7, 2010

Promoting Cupcakes

So, I recently posted an entry about Georgetown Cupcake on Through My Eyes (my food and travel blog). That entry was about the reason for my obsession with this little shop – the cupcakes. However, here I want to talk about something else – the recent Facebook and Twitter campaign that Georgetown Cupcake launched.

In January Georgetown Cupcake started making a daily secret “Fan Favorite” cupcake. The secret cupcake flavor is announced on Facebook and Twitter each morning and is free for Georgetown Cupcake fans. What a cool marketing idea! And I have to admit, I've fallen into the trap. Yes, I'm a Georgetown Cupcake fan on Facebook and I follow @GTownCupcake on Twitter too. The flavors are normally posted around 10 AM in the morning. So, every morning all 11,000 plus fans on Facebook and the 3000 plus followers on Twitter get a message about Georgetown Cupcake's secret cupcake of the day. And then they all start thinking about cupcakes. (Yes, this includes me.)

I think this is a great use of social media to promote a small business.

No comments:

Post a Comment